Saturday, September 12, 2026

HI CHRIS

Chris, sixty-nine years old, came onto hospice six weeks ago.   The moment the hospice nurse and I walked into their home, one could feel the love and comfort embracing their home.  Chris spoke so lovingly about his wife and daughter.  Kindness and care just flowed around Chris.  He became serious when talking with the nurse about his illness, but with a very dry sense of humor, he would immediately switch and catch us all off guard.  He was so funny.  

I so strongly feel that Chris and I were meant to meet.  There were many coincidences in our two lives.  Chris’s mother’s name is Mary Lou, as is mine.  Chris and his family lived in San Jose for many years; as did I.  His daughter Hannah was born at 28 weeks; as was I.   I was amazed by those facts. 

Chris was on hospice about five weeks before he peacefully died.  His memorial was today.  I had to be there as much for myself and for Chris and his family.  I, along with everyone who was present today, all felt so gifted in having him in their lives.  I feel gifted just meeting him once.  He was a very special soul.  I feel so gracious knowing his legacy is forever here.


HI CHRIS

 

I just want to say, “Hi Chris”.

We met only once about six weeks ago,

when the hospice nurse and I admitted you;

and you are someone I will never forget.

 

The moment we walked into your home,

I so strongly felt your appreciation for life, your strong faith,

but especially your love for your wife, Betsy

and your sixteen-year-old daughter, Hannah.

 

You totally accepted your terminal diagnosis

while embracing us for just being there.

But, in addition, one of your best attributes was

                         your dry sense of humor.

 

I attended your celebration of life today.

So many sharing stories about your caring heart.

You always made everyone feel so significant,

but it was you who was the most special of us all.

 

I spoke with Betsy and Hannah today

sharing my own personal need to be there.

“I am as much here today for me and for Chris.

He is someone I will always remember”. 

 

Betsy then shared with me,

“Not long before Chris died, he said,

“I want to see Marilou”; while then tenderly adding;

                         “And you are here today”.

 

It was totally to celebrate you today, Chris

as no one was even close to saying goodbye.

Your legacy is forever around all of us;

and yes, one day soon, I will again, lovingly say,

                         “Hi Chris.”

 

 

 

              

No comments:

Post a Comment