Saturday, September 19, 2026

SELF CARE

I met Heidi only nine months ago, but we immediately hit it off.  She is much younger, but we think and act so much alike.  She came to our hospice for her Social Work internship hours.  I was her field instructor.  Coincidently, she lives just around the corner from me.  She is studying for her Masters in Social Work at the University of Kentucky.  They moved to California late last year.  Fortunately, the university allowed her to complete her degree on-line. 

Heidi has a great heart and continually gives me much needed support.  But, I know, for many of us, do struggle with self-care needs.   During our walk today, I wanted her to know that it is okay if she has moments when she cannot do the walk.  Her reply impacted me in such a beautiful way as it so deeply describes how both of us are giving to each other.  While one is receiving, one is also giving.  Thank you, Heidi.



SELF CARE
 
 
I have counseled many about
the benefits and importance of self-care.
When reaching out for needed support,
you are offering another a beautiful gift.
 
I have needed much help these past weeks;
while fortunately, I am slowly getting stronger.
Along the way, I have heard words that I needed to hear,
                         from my fellow social workers.
 
“Take care of yourself; ask for help as needed.
By reaching out, you are giving a gift to another.”
I know these words; I have routinely expressed them,
but being on the other side of the fence, it is not easy.
 
While slowly getting stronger, I am able again,
to daily walk my two miles in thirty minutes.
My neighbor, Heidi, and I walk together.
She is working on her Social Work degree;
so, I will text her about a time that works best for her.
 
She had to cut the time short today
as has two essays that need completion.
‘It is okay to say no to a walk at any time.
I totally understand about schoolwork demands”.
 
I then heard, from her heart, a beautiful reply;
“I need these walks as much for myself as for you.
These thirty minutes are very profound
as it allows both of us to offer help while receiving
                         the beautiful gift of self-care."
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment