Saturday, August 29, 2026

RETIREMENT

 About five weeks ago, I would suddenly become lightheaded, short of breath and weakAfter multiple tests being normal, I was diagnosed with Orthostatic HypotensionMy blood pressure would suddenly drop after any strong exertionMy husband and I have done a lot of research, along with guidance from my physician, and I am learning slow and gentle behaviorsI am slowly getting stronger and able to do a lot more.  

Due to those limitations, I strongly know that I cannot do hospice social work any longerI am grieving that loss but know that is my realityMy focus is on getting stronger and being aware of my new “normal”.  I will then let go and flow to where my journey takes me.  

The staff had a celebration for me today in the officeBeing there today was wonderfulI was with my co-workers/familyI felt that before long, I likely may be back in another roleThat is what keeps me going.  


My Blog may not have weekly stories, but I will likely continue to write poetry.   I would love for you to check in now and then.  Thank you for all of your support these past 17 years I have been posting.  It means a lot.




 RETIREMENT


Today was my last day at hospice.

I am now officially retired. 
I thought I would work for many years more,

but the arrow flew directly into my heart.


I was diagnosed with something I never heard of,

but it is a common occurrence among us all.

With any quick exertion, my blood pressure drops

resulting in light headiness and shortness of breath.


There is no cure or treatment but knowing how to go slow.

It’s best to walk slowly, rise from a chair gradually and be gentle.

I am getting stronger daily following these guidelines.

Once I know my new baseline, I will let go and allow my journey to flow.


Hospice had a celebration party for me today

which totally melted my heart.

Hearing how I was a mentor, a hugger, and a teacher.

All said with sadness as not wanting me to go.


I know I made a difference at hospice;

to the patients, to the families, and staff alike.

I know that I will never be ready

to ever completely give any of that up.


I may have officially retired, but I am not, quite yet, done.

So strongly, I believe, from deep within my heart,

I may volunteer or help hospice in some other way as

                         I know that, before long, 

                                                  I will be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment