Saturday, August 15, 2026

AGE

I met two amazing patients and families today. Coincidences always catch my attention. I found many similarities between these two patients that I visited today. How each were coping is neither right nor wrong. Our hospice team wants to be right where the patient and family are without any judgment on how one should react. We all cope in a way that works for us. We all cope our way. That is how it should be, no matter what age one is.

AGE


 It is easy, at times, to guess someone’s age;
but then, personality plays such a strong part.
Often one can easily stereotype and be so wrong.
I have met old thirty-year olds and, in addition,
                         young ninety-year-olds.
 
Grieving any loss is so individual.
There is no particular pattern at all.
Young or old; grief is profound.
We all live, and we all will die, our way.
 
I did two back-to-back admissions today.
Both were diagnosed only three months ago.
My first visit was to a gal only forty-four years of age.
The second patient will turn 100 in five days.
 
Both were diagnosed only four months ago;
one with cancer and the other with heart failure.
Treatment is no longer working for either;
                         so now, comfort care.
 
Being young, you would think she would want to fight it,
but she is realistic in such an amazing, optimistic way.
“Yes, I know what is happening and it may not be too long;
but I have always had such a positive attitude about life.
That is what has always worked to keep me going.”
 
Being almost 100, one may think she would be ready to go.
She is legally blind, hard of hearing, and very short of breath.
Lying in her bed, she was frigidity while saying,
“I hurt all over.  Help me, I want to live!”
 
Whether old in a young body or young in an old body,
we all will thrive if we are true to who we absolutely are.
Respect others and do no harm; go with your flow.
Experience teaches; knowledge educates and wisdom thrives;
                         no matter what age you are.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment